St. Charles Borromeo Church in Harlem: A+ Rating

St. Charles Borromeo Alter

St. Charles Borromeo Alter

I do not travel for work as much as I used to but when I do travel, I try to check out a local church.  (One of the great things about Catholicism is that you can find a church almost anywhere!).  Last weekend, when I was in New York for the American Teilhard Association annual meeting, I had the pleasure of attending the Vigil Mass at St. Charles Borromeo (SCB) in Harlem.  SCB is a delightful church.  The outside is an old-style Gothic structure and the inside was recently remodeled so it has a very modern, yet dignified feel.

It was raining Saturday so I decided to go into the Church early to pray and meditate.  To my delight, they had Eucharistic Adoration.  It was a beautiful setting and very reinvigorating after the Teilhard conference.

Fr. Marcel Chinedu Amadi

Fr. Marcel Chinedu Amadi

The Mass was dignified and beautiful.  The celebrant, Fr. Marcel Chinedu Amadi, was a charismatic young priest who was very energetic and gave a wonderful homily.  The parishioners were very open and welcoming and seemed to have a joy and zest for life.  You could tell that the parish was vibrant and alive (which unfortunately can not be said of all parishes).  After Mass, the Pastor, Rev. Gregory Chisholm, S.J. (a Jesuit!) had a nice speech and tribute to all mothers for Mother’s Day.

Fr. Gregory Chisholm, SJ

Fr. Gregory Chisholm, SJ

St. Charles Borromeo was a wonderful experience.  Usually when I go to New York, I attend one of the churches in Manhattan.  They are beautiful, but they often have an impersonal feel.  There is a lot to be said for a vibrant neighborhood parish like SCB.

About William Ockham

I am a father of two with eclectic interests in theology, philosophy and sports. I chose the pseudonym William Ockham in honor of his contributions to philosophy, specifically Occam's Razor, and its contributions to modern scientific theory. My blog (www.teilhard.com) explores Ignatian Spirituality and the intersection of faith, science and reason through the life and writings of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (pictured above).
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to St. Charles Borromeo Church in Harlem: A+ Rating

1. Pingback: Tribute to Thomas Berry, Cultural Historian and Ecotheologian | Teilhard de Chardin

2. ify Mbanefo says:

Wao! This is awesome! Fr keep it up and I pray that Jesus and mother Mary will also be with u to strengthen you. Amen

3. Queen Chilaka says:

I am not surprised at the comments about Fr Marcel. He is my little brother and any one who has come in contact with him had something to say about him. He is a blessing and I pray the good Lord continues to guide, shield and direct him in all he does. I will continue to pray for you.

4. Bridget Omari Agi says:

With Fr Amadi’s homily, there is never a dull moment. Please keep it up Padre and may the good Lord continue to strengthen you in his vineyard in Jesus name.

5. Mr & Mrs A Akerele says:

Our Dear Father Marcel, we are very proud of you.We are not suprised bcos we have always been impressed with your homily and the way you celebrate mass.May God continue to guide , guard and strenghten you.Keep it up.

6. Valentina says:

That is Fr Marcel for you. Keep up God’s work Padre.

7. It is great to have part of Fr. Marcel’s fan club here! He is a great man of God.

8. Esther says:

Wow! Fr. Marcel! I’m impress by the way you cherish your pristhood! you are really a role model, I’m proud of you, keep it up. Praying that God would continue to grant you all the graces you need. Amen. Please! be sure of my prayers for you. Hugs!

9. Ugoeze says:

Wow!!Keep it up Fr Marcel…I am so proud of you!God bless

10. PAUL says:

Dear Fr. Marcel, you certainly are a good priest. We thank God for His favours and blessings upon you. May you continue to bring many more souls closer to God, wherever the spirit takes you. Truly an ambassador for Nigerian priests! Go Fr. Marcel!

11. Chidinma says:

I am so proud of you. God creates you to do his WORK. May He always Guide you.
    Your Grandma Chidinma.

12. Ifeanyi franklin anyanechi says:

Fr marcel amadi was the Secratary of the catholic archdiocese of lagos before he left for studies in 2011.He is a great homilist and have preached at ordinations and archdiocesan functions.He was ordained on November 15,2003